Sunday 12 September 2010

My Weekend of Variety



My busy weekend started on Friday with a visit to the local Embroiderers Guild Exhibition. A very impressive display of needlework and the morning tea served is worth a visit for that alone. The cakes are all homemade and we were served by a volunteer wearing a vintage apron embroidered with a teapot and teacups. I bought the pretty pincushion, made to look like a cupcake the top is all hand embroidered and the base is one of those plastic mini muffin cases that can be put in the oven. It's a sort of rubbery stuff I can't remember the name of but what a good idea for a pin cushion.Also bought this denim bag for a friend whose birthday is next month, the handmade card and a scissor holder. Then it was off to the op shops and I found this old chenille bedspread for only $6. Made by Supertex Australia so in its day a very good spread. Now for anyone wondering why I would want such a thing let me explain that there are chenille collectors out there and also chenille squares have become popular in patchwork and are expensive to buy. I might share my find and add some to my fabric stash for that wonderful quilt I will make oneday.





Saturday was Doll Club day and I won First prize for my Royal nesting dolls. Bear dressed for winter was another section, sorry you didn't win Ted even with that smart jacket I bought for you at the op shop. I really don't like to mention this Ted but you DO have fat thigh syndrome and couldn't wear the pants to match the jacket and had to make do with your old skirt, but thank you for being such a willing participant in your section. My mulga wood napkin rings did not win either but as always it's fun to enter and see what other club members have.
The theme for show and tell was tea cozies as fancy knitted ones have become so popular, I took my GeorgeVI cutwork embroidered one along to display and talk about.


Sunday I went to a local cat show, the variety of cats on show and being judged was amazing and my favoutrite judge was there. He is very flambouyant and a lot of fun to watch, cats seem to like him too.




It was an All Breeds cat show and here is one beauty waiting to be judged.






And then we have Emily. Does not want to hear about cat shows, will never enter a cat show and is looking annoyed because she wonders why I want to look at other cats when I have her and why don't I stay home and watch her have another long sleep.







I'm linking to Gattina at Writer's Cramps for "What Did You Do This Weekend?"







7 comments:

  1. Congrats on winning first prize for your Royal nesting dolls.
    That Exotic is cute and waiting nervously to be judged!
    Your Emily is so very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just imagine Arthur in a cat show ! The other cats wouldn't have any chance, not because of his "beauty" but he is a real clown !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cup cake pincushion. Such a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to be able to go to a cat show!!!

    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cupcake has such pretty embroidery and is probably low calorie too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for stopping by my site and leaving a comment..I so enjoy your site..have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a busy weekend. Congrats on the win for the dolls! Very much enjoyed my visit here :)
    loved the cats!!!

    ReplyDelete